COP21 Side-event：Tripartite Climate Policy Dialogue among Japan, China, and Korea – Research Cooperation in Asia to Achieve the 2 Degree Target –
Date and time: 7 December 2015, 10:30-12:00
Venue: Japan Pavilion
Organiser: Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Japan; Energy Research Institute (ERI), P.R. China; Institute for Global Sustainability (IGS), Republic of Korea
◆Same titled collaborate event will be held in Republic of Korea Pavilion on the 4th December, 10:00 – 12:00. Please also visit Korea Pavilion.
Welcome Remarks (5 min):
– H.E.Ms. Tamayo Marukawa, Minister of the Environment, Japan
Opening Remarks (15 min):
– Prof. Seung-soo Han, Former Prime Minister, ROK
– Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, Executive Secretary, UNESCAP
Presentations (30 min):
– Dr. Tae-yong Jung, Professor and Deputy Executive Director, Yonsei University, ROK
– Dr. Kentaro Tamura, Area Leader, Climate and Energy Area, IGES, Japan
Panel Discussion (40 min):
– Dr. Zhou Dadi, Former Director General, ERI, PRC
– Prof. Hoesung Lee, IPCC Chair (TBC)
– Prof. Hironori Hamanaka, Chair of the Board of Directors, IGES, Japan
Chair: Prof. P.R. Shukla, Co-Chair of IPCC WGⅢ & Dr. Shuzo Nishioka, Senior Research Advisor, IGES, Japan
Japan, China and Korea collectively account for approx. 30% of global GHG emissions, and have significant technological and financial capacity to reduce these emissions.
Three leading research institutes of the countries (IGES, IGS, ERI) argue the importance of the collaborative research on climate policy and the necessity to harmonise national climate policies among Japan, China, and Korea in order to achieve 2 degrees in Asia.
In this event, we will discuss the 2 degrees scenario in Asia and policies and financial mechanism necessary to achieve it with a focus put on the establishment of integrated carbon market and the phase out of coal power
 Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Japan
 Institute for Global Sustainability (IGS), Republic of Korea
 Energy Research Institute (ERI), National Development and Reform Commission, P. R. China