Capacity building workshop in Phnom Penh, Cambodia on 26 September 2016
■ Title: Workshop on a quantitative and qualitative design of low carbon development plan in Cambodia
■ Date: 26 September 2016
■ Venue: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
■ Organiser: LoCARNet secretariat c/o Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Ministry of Environment, Cambodia
- National Anthem: Ms. Cheat Meardey, Technical Officer
- Welcome Remarks: Dr. Shuzo Nishioka, LoCARNet Secretary General/IGES
- Opening Remarks: H.E. Eang Sophallth, Under Secretary of State, the Ministry of Environment, Cambodia
Session1：Relevant policies and measures to respond to climate change in Cambodia (Chair: Dr. Shuzo Nishioka, IGES)
- Mr. Sum Thy, Director of Climate Change Department
- Mr. Chreng Phollak, Director of Department, Ministry of Public Works and Transport
- Mr. Toch Sovanna, Director of Department, Ministry of Mines and Energy
- Mr. Nget Bol, Ministry of Environment
Session2: Low carbon development and climate change responses from international perspectives (Chair: Dr. Hak Mao, Deputy Director of Dept. of Technology and Science, DST
- Prof. Takeshi Fujiwara, Okayama University, Japan
- Prof. Ho Chin Siong, UTM, Malaysia
- Mr. Wan Maung, Assistant Director, Environmental Conservation Department, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Conservation, Myanmar
- Mr. Bounthee Saythongvanh, Senior Officer, Department of Disaster Management and Climate Change, Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment
Session3 : Enhancing actions to respond to climate change from low carbon society research network (LoCAR-Net) perspectives (Chair: Mr. Chea Chan Thou, Director of DST)
- Dr. Shuzo Nishioka, Secretary General/IGES
- Dr. Jakkanit Kananurak, Director, Capacity Development Team, TGO, Thailand
- Ms. Oulavanh Sinsamphanh, Lecturer, Acting Head of Climate Change and Sustainable Development Unit, Department of Environmental Technology, Faculty of Environmental Sciences, National University of Laos
- Mr. San Win, Assistant Director, Environmental Conservation Department (ECD), Ministry of Environmental Conservation and Forestry (MOECAF), Myanmar / Ph. D. candidate in Environmental Technology and the Joint Graduate School of Energy and Environment (JGSEE), King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi (KMUTT), Thailand
- Mr. Peach Pon, Technical Officer, DST
- Dr. Hak Mao, Deputy Director of DST
Session4 : Open discussion and wrap-up (Chairs: H.E. Dr. Tin Ponlok, Secretary General and Dr. Shuzo Nishioka, Secretary General/IGES)
Theme of the discussion:
- How to integrate research findings into Government policies and strategies and to translate into concrete actions?
- How to enhance research communities for low carbon development and for addressing climate change impacts?
■ Summary of the workshop
Cambodia workshop “Workshop on a quantitative and qualitative design of low carbon development plan in Cambodia” was held on 26th September 2016 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
80 people participated in this workshop from Cambodia, Myanmar, Lao PDR, Thailand and Malaysia.
The workshop aimed at distributing the quantative estimation of GHG emissions reduction of the four policies and twelve strategies not only for Cambodia but also for other countries; encouraging the integration of the low carbon development plan into the government development policies as well as the strategic programmes of academia and research institutions; encouraging the translation of the proposed policies and strategies into a concrete implementation.